East Otto fire contract approved
BY: Jessie Owen | December 28, 2012
EAST OTTO — A public hearing was held, during the East Otto Town Board’s meeting on Dec. 11.
Councilmen Mike Poch and Dave Forster motioned to open the public hearing, regarding the fire protection district contract for 2013, as per a phone poll conducted on Nov. 14.
All board members voted in favor of the 2013 fire protection district contract. There was no public comment, during the hearing.
After the hearing was closed, Supervisor James Beach was authorized to sign the contract, as presented.
In other board matters:
– Clerk Ann Rugg paid Beach $638 for November fees and commissions.
– Rugg announced that she will check the cost of hiring a grant writer to obtain funding for the records storage area.
– Highway Superintendent Tom Benz said that two or three highway department radios cannot be changed to comply with new 2013 Federal Communications Commission laws, but he added that he will purchase a new portable radio and upgrade the other radios.
The cost of the portable will be approximately $300 and the total upgrade will cost $1,000.
In addition, the department has been without an FCC license for nearly 10 years. Benz said that a new license will cost a one-time fee of $500.
– Code Enforcement Officer Jeff Holler answered 22 phone calls, issued one violation, completed 11 inspections and issued one single family home permit, one manufactured home permit, one addition permit, one campground permit and one RV permit. He paid Rugg $765 for these items. He also attended an hour of code training in Ellicottville.
– Beach suggested creating a committee to look into purchasing new Christmas lights for the town, for next year.
– Third quarter sales tax was received, in the amount of $51,590. Mortgage sales tax was received, in the amount of $6,759, under the budgeted amount.
– Beach said that he has reviewed the town’s insurance coverage, to ensure that East Otto is covered, in the event of a disaster.
– A $4,000 donation was received from Lofty Mountain.
The Dec. 25 meeting was canceled. The East Otto Town Board’s organizational meeting is scheduled for Tuesday, Jan. 8 at 8 p.m.